INFINITY SERIES 3 PROGRAMMABLE EFI OVERVIEW
AEM's Infinity Series 3 Programmable ECU platform is designed for popular early- and late-model throttle body and port injected Ford, GM and Mopar V8s. The Series 3 ECUs are simplified engine controllers designed to run a basic race, marine or crate engine without the need for, or cost of, additional features like variable cam control, Drive-by-Wire throttle control or internal wideband air/fuel sensor controllers.
INFINITY 308 PROGRAMMABLE EFI
The Infinity 308 (PN 30-7113) features two different injector types and two different coil outputs that support three different types of fuel and ignition configurations.
For throttle-body-injected (TBI) and GM multi-port fuel injected V8s the Infinity 308 includes a single direct-drive ignition coil output to work with a distributor and a single coil, and 2 peak & hold injector drivers that can drive up to four high-impedance injectors each. Other port injected and single-coil distributed V8 engines like the Ford Windsor can be controlled using the Infinity 308’s 8 high impedance injector drivers and single direct-drive coil output.
For the Chevy LS, the Infinity 308 has 8 high impedance injector drivers and 8 “smart” coil outputs to drive a coil-near-plug ignition system.
Infinity 308 MEFI Upgrade
The Infinity 308 is a great upgrade for users looking to replace their older MEFI-4 system. This system also provides users with an upgrade path to sequential port injection and “smart” coil-near-plug ignition. A Plug & Play Adapter harness to install an Infinity 308 on engines using MEFI controllers is available in our Plug & Play Adapter Harnesses section.
Control Ignition Timing on HEI-Equipped Engines
AEM offers an HEI Adapter Module (30-3829-00) that works with the Infinity Series 3 ECU and allows users to control ignition timing on engines that are using an HEI distributor. This module gives users the power to control ignition timing above 500 RPM using the Infinity Series 3 ECU (the HEI distributor controls timing during start up and up to 500 RPM). An integrated crank signal conditioner ensures that excessive noise from the crank signal does not affect timing. The module is housed in a 12-pin DTM-style receptacle connector (cee Images/Video tab) and will require integration into the vehicle’s wiring harness. A 12-pin DTM-style plug connector is available and sold separately (PN 35-2633).
INFINITY 358 PROGRAMMABLE EFI
The Infinity 358 (PN 30-7114) is designed to control 2V and 4V Ford Modular engines, late-model Dodge Hemi engines, and other late-model, individual direct-drive “dumb” coil V8 engines with port injection using 8 high impedance injectors.
200MHz Processor and Real-Time Operating System
Late model vehicle ECU’s all run on faster processors. The Infinity ECU is built around a latest-generation 32-bit floating point 200MHz automotive processor and Real-Time Operating System (RTOS), which is capable of processing 400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second). By comparison, common competitive systems typically use 20MHz to 50MHz processors. To our knowledge, the Infinity ECU currently has the fastest processing speed of any aftermarket Motorsports ECU available. This allows the Infinity to do more, faster, in a more stable programming environment.
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS makes the Infinity more responsive, for a better driving experience
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS allows for more accurate ignition timing, which enables an engine to create more power
- The Infinity’s faster processor allows it to perform more computational features with no sacrifice in processing performance
- The Infinity’s RTOS ensures strategic processing with optimized load balancing. This means that tuning one feature will not affect the performance of another feature
SUPPORTED vs. PLUG & PLAY APPLICATIONS
The Infinity ECU delivers comparable tuning functionality regardless of application type. It is available for a wide variety of applications in two distinct forms:
- Infinity Supported applications refer to an engine family or cam/crank pattern for which the Infinity ECU has been tested and validated to run. However, certain ancillary vehicle systems (such as factory instrument clusters, automatic transmissions, and certain drive by wire throttles), may not be supported
- The setup Wizard included with the InfinityTuner user interface software dramatically simplifies initial tuning configuration to help ensure successful initial startup for Supported applications
- Wiring is required for Supported applications. AEM offers Universal wiring harnesses in several iterations and detailed application-specific wiring instructions/schematics (please visit the Buy/Instructions Tab or Infinity Wiring Harnesses Page for more information)
Plug & Play Applications
Infinity Plug & Play applications are available for select vehicles. Plug & Play applications support a vehicle’s engine and most other ancillary vehicle systems and include application-specific startup calibrations. The Infinity Plug & Play harness (sold separately) connects directly into the vehicle’s factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring.